Monday, March 2, 2020

Antidotes

These are a few of my antidotes to the prevailing air of total chaos and insanity


 

It is magnificent magnolia time of the year, and each year, despite the unusual weather, these trees appear in all their glory.

This has been the driest February in 100 years, or something like that. It is so dry I get a shock from my car door each time I close it.  The air is already not clean, my eyes  are red and itchy,  but undeterred, the magnolias bloom and grace our surroundings and our lives.

Nature does not let us down.

And this:






A stunning display of King Proteas which my friend in Tiburon has managed to grow.

South Africa's national flower has graced the gardens of a South African.

These things make me smile and feel good.

There is something else.  As the news steadily deteriorates, I have regressed.  I listen to the news in the morning on NPR and then I make cream of wheat. Something I don't remember having eaten in years and years.  It is soothing.

Does anyone else have some helpful antidotes - please add them in your comments.

As I am about to hit the publish button I sneezed!  Yikes.  I think it is simply allergy season, not the coronavirus!



1 comment:

Johana said...

I am uplifted by nature also. As I've gotten older I get so much pleasure just go in my back yard and looking up at the clouds. In the fall I would go out at sunset and wait for the geese to return to the lake at the nearby college. The distant honking coming closer was like a drug for me. Sometimes I was lucky enough to get a good picture.

Last weekend I planted my garden and each morning I go out and search for little flecks of green peaking through the dark soil. Before I go back into the house, I sniff the lilac and if it's looking particularly beautiful, I'll snap a picture to post on Instagram.