Monday, March 16, 2020

A guilty confession

Yesterday, in terms of this corona,/covid 19 crisis, light years ago - I went for a walk.  I stopped by my friendly neighbourhood coffee shop and ordered a latte.  I saw  a large bottle of hand sanitizer on the counter.  This is an item that has sold out everywhere - there is none to be had.  I asked the 'barista' whether the shop next door was selling any.

The gift shop next door is owned and run by the same couple who  own the coffee shop as well as a communal work space. I entered the shop where the owner sat looking at her computer screen.  I greeted her and asked whether she had any hand sanitizer to sell.  Of course she didn't, but she told me to come back with a bottle and she would give me some.  Then she looked at her screen, looked back at me, and said that the governor of California, Gavin Newsom, had at that moment declared that all people over 65 should stay at home.  The way she looked at me I could tell she knew I fell in that demographic! 

Kindly she offered to fill a plastic cup with hand sanitizer so that I wouldn't have to climb the steep hill back home and then down again.  She did add that I may not need the sanitizer if I am sheltered in my home!

So, new regulations in place.  These regulations stated that those over 65 shelter in place and only go out for essential items.

At home yesterday evening I poured myself a whisky and looked with horror at the bottle - almost finished!

This morning I began to agonize - should I order alcohol online?  Probably.  I tried, but as inept as I am with this online stuff I couldn't figure out how to put my member number on the order, and therefore wouldn't get a discount.  Then I thought - is going to BevMo  essential?  Of course it is.  Should I go?  Should I not?  This agonizing decision took up most of the morning, until, plucking up courage, donning a disguise (moustache and hat) I got into my car and drove to BevMo.  I turned on the radio and just then an announcement came on - "from midnight tonight everyone has to shelter in place.  Essential services will remain open along with grocery stores."  They didn't say liquor stores.

I drove along San Pablo and turned right into BevMo's parking lot - bedlam! No spaces at all. Eventually I squeezed into a space between cars, put on latex free gloves and went inside.  The place was packed - shelves were empty.  Four cashiers were open and there were long lines of people with well stocked carts.  Clearly I was not the only one who thought it wise to stock up.

I found what I was looking for and then - saw a prize item. A bottle of Gunpowder Gin from Ireland.  Yahoooooooo! I had to get that also. 

I stood in line at a distance of about 6 feet from the many people ahead of me.  The woman behind me, who was standing a bit too close for comfort, asked me whether this shop would still be open tomorrow.  The man behind her and I had obviously heard the latest rules.  'As of midnight tonight, only essenial shops will be open." She looked from me to him and then dropped her handbasket onto the floor and ran off for more bottles!!!!

There is no end in sight!

1 comment:

Johana said...

Oh I loved this post!! Thank you Nesta, laughter is the best medicine!