Thursday, January 26, 2023

Teeny Weeny Rays of Light

To my absolute astonishment, and that of my sister who has helped me every step of the way - I received my Israeli Driver's License in less than four hours.  It did entail driving from the Ministry of Transport to a mall where I had to have my eyes tested, then to another mall for a photograph, then back to the Ministry of Transport, but hey, what is that compared to weeks of back and forth.  A miracle!!!!!

Then I did hear from the Ministry of Defense and a social worker came to see me.  A week later a Welfare worker came.  So slowly the wheels seem to be moving. For all of these things, O Lord, I am grateful.

This week I went on a tour with my geriatric playmates. We went up north, to Carmel.  The roads in Israel put America to shame - at least the Bay Area.  Of course they are crowded, but potholes don's seem to exist. For me many areas of the country are barely recogniseable because of all the construction.  I suppose the millions of people have to live somewhere - so high apartment buildings abound.  But still, it is beautiful, the hills are green, the wild flowers are beginning to appear. However, like California, not green enough.  It is very warm and very dry.  Again I think of my strange fate - South Africa often had droughts, Israel, California. - droughts and authoritarian governments - interesting combination - something to ponder for those of a philosophical bent.   I digress, besides visiting a moshav where native plants are rehabilitated, we went to the Druze 'village' (no longer a village - a crowded town, of Daliat Al Karmel and to a fascinating talk and visit to the art gallery of Sam Halabi.  If you are interested - google his name.

And right now it is time for me to go to the park to photograph white roses.  I am in a photography group and I am learning things about phone cameras I didn't know existed.  I may put up some photos.


1 comment:

Johana said...

Thanks for the tip about googling Sam Halabi's work! He's so creative and I love the trees with all the colors. Fascinating!