Sunday, January 1, 2023

Happy New Year

 2023. -  hopefully this incoming year will bring with it a respite from the non-stop tumult of the past few years! Just a tiny ray of hope would be welcome. From my perspective, now living in a different country - it looks like there may just be a small crack of light coming in from the USA!

On a personal level, I am definitely on the path to re-nesting.  My home is quite lovely, and in the strange way of things, it feels comfortable, and quite sufficient for my needs. The strange way is how remembered things from childhood, my home, my school, the local swimming pool, were all loomed very large - then when I returned years later, they had somehow shrunk.

I am also reminded how when  I visited Israel and stayed a while, the teeny country  became bigger each day.  Drives took longer, places felt distant.  And so it has been with my new home - my postage stamp size of a garden is now quite big - enough to do landscaping.  My bedroom, which a dear friend in the USA euphemistically described as 'cosy,' is in fact, cosy and comfortable.

I have to keep a calendar for all the events and activities  happening in this geriatric summer camp.  I cannot do everything I would like. In fact, I have to continue this entry later as I am off to a lecture.

Well,  back from an interesting, informative and deeply depressing lecture entitled "Promises Promises, The Roots of the Problems in the Middle East," It was given by a resident here who is Israeli born, fluent in Hebrew, Arabic, English, and probably some other languages. He was in the army and in the Mosad. An interesting and knowledgable man with a fascinating background. Sadly - he sees absolutely no solution to the present problems. That was not a good way to begin the new year, so I will have a drink and listen to music, and toast all of you, anyway!

Let us hope .......


No comments: