Saturday, August 28, 2021

Now Normal

 Here we are - the air is still and oppressive - it is hot.  When I look at the sunsets the sun is briefly blood red, then swiftly vanishes and all is a hazy wash of grey-ish pink-ish mauve-ish pastels.  

Tiny particles of ash cover everything like a blanket of snow. My eyes sting, I cough.

I sit inside, my air purifier sighs in the background, a diffuser emits a fine mist of eucalyptus, silver fir, peppermint, lemon eucalyptus supposedly cleansing the purified air.

This is now the 4th year of California summers, each year the season of smoke and fires begins earlier than the previous year.  Each year has me more prepared - I have the diffusers and purifiers on hand now. This is the second year of the pandemic.  Unfortunately the masks for fires are not allowed outside for pandemics.  

One copes, does what one must, this is now normal.

1 comment:

Marianna said...

Those red suns are so eerie!