Thursday, March 4, 2021

Almost a Year

 Firstly, many thanks to those who have commented.  I have not yet discovered how to reply to comments - it took me years to tell people how to reply.  The other thing I have not yet discovered is how to alert followers that there is a new entry.

Johana, as always, thanks so much for your insightful comments, and what you said about receiving the vaccine. And to Hopeful, I am aware of the experiments done on black people.  Years ago I worked for Contra Costa County in home health.  We would get new referrals to patients in our weekly meetings. I remember an 80 year old man being referred, and one of his diagnoses was syphilis.  Immediately a nurse who was present asked where he was born and she told us of the Tuskegee experiment. (In fact, he was from Tuskegee).  I remember how shocked and saddened I was to hear about this. Also, Johana writes about Henrietta Lacks, and the ongoing importance of her cell line.  

This is the dark side of medical experimentation.  And yes, learning about the covid vaccines and their affects and efficacies will be ongoing for a very long time.

After my previous blog about not experiencing any side effects other than a desire for Diet Coke, a strange thing happened.  Eight days after the vaccine while on a walk I felt my arm itching at the site of the vaccine.  It was also somewhat painful.  I paid no attention, thinking it must be a mosquito bite.  The pain and itching continued. While toweling myself dry a day later I saw that my arm was swollen and very red. It looked like a dark red rash in the swollen area. It was also hot to touch.  I was really surprised, because I realised it must be from the vaccine, and it was by now 10 days later!  An internet search revealed a surprise - I was not the first to develop "Covid Arm" 10 days after the first shot.  For a few days I was quite lethargic and experienced some unpleasant gastric disturbances.  Go figure ......

I am fine again, and receive my second shot on March 13.  On the advice of answers to FAQ I will get the shot in my right arm this time. 

No comments: