Friday, December 29, 2023

An answer to requests

The fact is, I don't know what to say anymore.  We stumble on, heartsick and heartbroken - no ray of light at the end of the tunnel (I HATE to use that word - tunnel). More soldiers killed, more bodies identified, more missiles, especially from the north now.  Insane, messianic, narcissistic, dangerous people in charge. Over 20,000 dead in Gaza.  A dark grey cloud of misery encompasses the middle east.

But, my dear dear friends have requested that I continue to blog - a sign of life, I suppose.  This will probably be my last entry for this year.  What will 2024 bring?  When I told a friend we are without hope here, I received a lecture "Victor Frankel .......... "  Of course I have read and studied, and in fact, met Victor Frankel.  I don't need a lecture.  For us without hope, life nevertheless continues - I ENJOY bird watching for example.  Just this week I  spent a lovely day in the beautiful lower Galilee watching and listening to songbirds in a forest of sorts, and walking around the fish ponds on Kibbutz Hazorea.  Kites, ospreys, mallards. Even though it has been a remarkably mild winter, rains have fallen and it is beautiful to see  the green covered Gilboa, and breathe in the fresh crisp air.  ALL of us in the group enjoyed the day, despite the fact that we ALL live without any illusions.  Most everyone has sons or grandsons in Gaza and up north, on the border with Lebanon.  If they are not directly related to you, then you know someone who has sons and daughters in the army or the reserves.  Some people have 2 and 3 children serving in the army and many haven't seen them for three months.  Israel is a very very small country.

I enjoy my art, yoga, Feldenkrais, cleaning spring onions, and learning Arabic, which is extremely difficult.  So life continues 

BUT, -  we are without hope.

A new year begins, but in Israel it is not observed - except by Russian Jews who enjoy Sylvester, the Christian community, of course, but I don't think any communities are up to wild partying this year.

Having written these uplifting words - I nevertheless wish everyone a better new year, with some hope of resolution.


My latest piece of art:   

2 comments:

Hadas said...

we can only do our small part, however, we are called to do so, and you are, dearest Nesta,

Debra Denker said...

I just came across your book and remembered that you had this blog. Please know I am praying for you and family, and for all people of peace and all innocents on all sides, for release of the hostages, etc etc. Reading your blogs since October 7 I can only begin to imagine what it is like for you there, especially as a strong empath and a woman of peace. I've been very triggered by my own PTSD from covering the war in Afghanistan in the 80s and have finally sought out some trauma therapy called Havening after I attended a Kriya Yoga retreat sharing a room with a friend and she told me I screamed every night in a foreign language. Sending you love and whatever comfort is possible.